Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Todays Shoot - Jenny Thompson (NSFW)

Jenny FN Thompson (yeah thats probably her middle name)

(click any image for larger view)

Jenny is, and has been an excellent friend, as well as model so I knew I could experiment a little bit with different lighting, and different ideas, and the new lens im still getting used to, with out her being "uhhh whatchu doin?"

SO! Taking in a question from the mighty Steve Prue (www.teamrockstarimages.com - check out his work - he is incredible) - I decided to experiment a bit with mid range F-stops at ISO100.

Everyone pretty much says that F 8-14 is kinda the sweet spot for taking images, SO I wanted to compare and contrast (result = i cant tell a difference, can you? can you tell Steve? let me know what you think!)

I also shot on-location stuff with only a boomed beauty dish which I have done with bands, but never with a model - I sort of wanted to try it from having a convo with my friend Keaton Andrew, who says he often only uses one light for many of his shoots.

ANYWAY - this is going to be a VERY photo-heavy post - so - youve been warned - ON TO THE PHOTOS!

So I started off messing with two rims in the back up high pointed down and using a soft box boomed a bit up - pointed down for a more fashion type of feel (highlights and mids, no shadows)

I kept on changing the settings for the lights - trying to get shots around F10-14ish - but honestly I wasnt really into this whole look a whole bunch

Anyway, the settings for these images are first image F10 2nd two images F14 - ISO100 - at a 160th. - for the first image (which was actually the last one i shot) I flipped out the 3x4 soft box for a beauty dish for a harsher light. it was at 25% power - and i brought the two rims down to shoulder height and turned them down to 50%

See photos below

























































After experimenting with lighting, I wasn't really happy with what I was getting so I boomed a beauty dish up high - pointed straight down - but I powered it down a bit to shoot F10 at ISO100

compare this to the first image above - i like this look MUCH better



















After that shot I jumped up to F18 (again trying to compare to F10 - and powered up the light from 25% to 50% - not too much of a difference to me, but if you can tell, please let me know... heres a bunch! - also - a ladybug flew into the studio so we took a picture with it! yeay!































































































After finishing up some in studio stuff - we hit spots around the building with only a single dynalite uni400 w/ a boom - all these shots are just one beauty dish way up high pointed straight down - but again - I turned down to 25% to shoot closer to F14 rather then F22 - again to see if it makes any different in the images

Much to the SHOCK of everyone who knows me... I shot ALL of the on location photos with the 24-70 2.8L - NOT the 16-35 2.8 (WTF RIGHT?) I think i found my new favorite lens for on location photo sessions - its range of wide to tele is AMAAAAZING - i strongly recommend it - as its the FIRST time in 5+ years I did a whole set with out the 16-35 - EVER.






































I also did something else I VERY rarely ever do, if ever at all - HORIZONTAL IMAGES IN A MODEL SHOOT! (no 16-35 AND horizontal shots?!? did hell freeze over... mayyybe!)I loved the space in it.


























































The next set we did in a hallway - and i took alot ALOT of angled shots as the lighting on the model - and on the sides of the hallway was awesome - so getting a bit of that light in the shots was KEY to making this even more creepy.













































































After finishing up down there - we added... CORPSE PAINT!!!!!

I already shot Jenny for this project but only in studio, and on white with split lighting, so shooting her on location - again with a boomed beauty dish instead of the normal split light dynalite with cold tone umbrellas - so it was cool to change it up a bit

Again these were shot F14-16 - and I shot some horizontal images for it - even though they cant really be used in the book, i dont think... but whateve. And i also started using my black metal logo for the tag instead of the copyright logo - i think it looks way better

























































































































After finishing the on location stuff - we finished up in studio - shooting with a boomed beauty dish at 50% power - These were 100ISO F16 - I really liked the hair flip shot from the set before so we played with that a bit more. Again these were shot on white but I brought the dish far enough away from the white to make it go midtone grey - again I shot these with both the 24-70 and 70-200 (mostly the 70-200 for this set)












































































All in all - I strongly suggest experimenting when you have situations that would not make you look unprofessional if you dont like the shots and you have the time to ALSO get the shots you need.

Experimenting is how you get better as a photographer - always try different things when you can - and try using new gear! i didnt have a boom before January, and I cant imagine working with out it - and now the 24-70 has become an integral lens in my gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment