Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Legends Never Die..

A non-photo post.

You know what rules?

growing up with posters of a band on my wall, then, just a few years later, opening up lighroom to see my portraits of those bands staring back at me. sometimes its even surreal. As a kid, I know if I saw some of these, they would but cut out of the magazine, id put 4 small pieces of poster putty behind it, and then on my wall it goes.

Alot of people dont get it. Sometimes im not even sure if i get it. But I know growing up, those photos were so important to me. At the time those photos were my gateway into that bands life and image. Id see photos of Manson, White Zombie, Metallica, Korn, Megadeth, Slayer, Cradle of Filth, etc. and see what they were wearing, where they were in the world, what it would be like to be right there where the image was taken and be as close to the bands i grew up worshiping as possible.

You may think I’m blowing it out of proportion here… but thats what I did growing up, id buy a magazine if a band i liked was in it - cut the shot out - and put it on my wall, and that was a big part of my life growing up as a fan of these bands, and a fan of music. If i was having a bad day - I would go to my room, surrounded by photos of the bands i loved and listen to metal so loud it would usually end in my parents taking away my cd player. haha. But being surrounded by those images made me feel like i was within reach of my heroes.

So I guess what im trying to get at… is its really and truly an overwhelming honor to be able to create images that I hope, one day will be cut out of a magazine, and put on someones wall, just as I had in the past. and just as important, when I get the rare and sometimes surreal opportunity to work with a band that had spent some time stuck to my wall, it just solidifies the reason I got into doing what I do in the first place.

With out YOU - the fans - the bands… I would not be able to do this… so thank you

Keep cutting out photos, getting them signed, and putting them on your wall.

“Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.” - The Sandlot.

4 comments:

  1. At the risk of sounding cheesy, I have to say this: you are living the dream I've had since I discovered my love of photography 6 years ago. I see photos of bands in magazines or pictures from live shows and think "This is what I want to do". I look at the cut out pictures on my wall and I hope that one day I'll get the chance to be the one standing behind the camera. You are definitely an inspiration for the dreamers out there. Rock on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep shooting and its only a matter of time before someone says the same thing to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I am not the only kid that did this. I posted them all over my wall as well and not only because of who they are but because I have followed photographers along the way as well. I now keep a folder/book of inspirational photographer and you Jeremy Saffer are one of them so thank you for being a wierdo and pursuing your passion. I hope to meet you in the pit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) One more reason as to why you are awesome! I had a Korn wall and a Manson wall. Those albums were definitely escapes/dream lands. I could sit for hours with my headphones on and my eyes closed!

    ReplyDelete