Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Todays Shoot - Hail!

Well... once, maybe twice a year, I get to do a shoot I am really excited about.

This one came in January so... could be a good year, right?

My shoot was with HAIL! for a slew of different magazines

Featuring
David Ellefson of Megadeth/F5



















Tim "The Ripper" Owens of Judas Priest/Iced Earth



















Andreas Kisses of Sepultura



















Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater



















is a band called HAIL!

So needless to say, save for Sepultura, every single one of these bands were bands that have been in my life since i was 10 years old or so. (yes I had a very early start in metal).

Every one of these dudes are legends in their own right, so I was super excited for the opportunity to work with them.

We did about 5 sets, first on the stage with the hail backdrop

Second were in seats at the venue

For this - two umbrellas up high - pointed inward to get the opposite side of the table - then a beauty dish behind them pointed at a 45 degree angle for hair/table fill F16 30th













Third was in the very cool hallway of Gillette Stadium (see below)

Fourth and Fifth were in the Gillette Stadium loading docks, and in the docks on a Gillette club cart

My favorite set was in the hallway, because I am partial to really industrial areas with fluorescent lighting and thats exactly what the hallway was.

I did group shots and solos of everyone in two of the sets (hallway and stage) and all the dudes were pretty pumped on the shots.

David has been a great friend to me in terms of giving me the best quote EVER for my book bring the noise - and then during this shoot - he compared me to Ross Halfin and a few other name rock and roll legend photographers... which is just unreal, to have a dude whos worked with the best, EVER, in the industry, to say I am the next era... its very unreal and incredibly kind of him.

Hallway shots are beauty dish up high - side lit with two umbrellas but the umbrella camera right is about 1-2 feet before the umberella camera left to offset the lighting a bit.

shot at F22 (to get full hallway somewhat sharp in there) then at a 10th to really bring in the hallway lighting (which made the hallway a bit blurry by the lights, but the band was locked in so i didnt mind the slight movement).

No comments:

Post a Comment